Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Letterboxing

I checked the letterboxing site yesterday and was excited to see that a new box had been planted near us just last week. Big Rach, the girls, and I set out to find it today at the Union Mills Homestead. Once we got on the right trail, we didn't have much trouble. Just a bit of walking in the heat. In the end the location of the box was really neat. It was also very cool to be the first ones to find this box. Much to our surprise, when we opened it, we found a "hitchhiker" inside. This was a new twist in the game for us. Apparantly, a "hitchhiker" is a letterbox with no permanent home. The "hitchhiker" is carried from one box to another where it is left for some other person to find. When you find the "hitchhiker," you stamp it as you do any letterbox, but then carry it with you to be left at the next letterbox you find. The girls and I will be flying to Dallas next week to spend some time in Texas and Louisiana. The "hitchhiker" will be making the trip with us. Our plan is to find it a new temporary home in the south.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

We love that letter boxing.

Susie Moore said...

I really want to try this. I may tomorrow on my day off. Ive looked on that sight and there are quite a few in Lufkin and Nac.

Danielle said...

So cool your doing letter boxing. I found out about it about two years ago, but never did it because I didn't have a GPS. For some reason I didn't want to do it unless I had a GPS. Amy I just found your blog. Everytime you post on mine, it would never send me to your blog, I thought you didn't have one. Hope to see you soon. Love

Rachel said...

Not all of the letter boxes require a GPS. Some are done by just landmarks and others tell you to use a compass.

We've only done the ones that give you landmarks.

Amy said...

Yeah, I think you are thinking of geocaching. That is done with a GPS. From what I've read, that is a whole different thing (www.geocaching.com). Kind of like letterboxing gone high tech. These hunts are made specifically to be found with a GPS.