Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Winter Weather

I spent the first 32 years of my life in Louisiana and Texas, so maybe that makes me appreciate the winter weather here in Maryland a little more. Maybe after living here for only 4 years, I just haven't gotten used to it yet. I don't know, but I don't think I could ever grow tired of snow.

I was so excited Monday to see the first snow flurries and flakes of the season swirling around outside. Well, it has been snowing here since early this morning today, and it is beautiful. I love the snow. I love snow days. Chloe and I have been home today. I thought it would be a great day to get some of the many things that I need to do done at the house. But, I should have known, most of my day has been spent just staring out of the windows watching the snow blanket my yard. I always find it difficult to get much done when snow is falling. I find myself being drawn to the windows again and again.

In honor of the first snow of the season, here are some of my favorite things about snow/snow days:

  • school cancellations
  • sledding down the hills in our neighborhood
  • building snowmen and snow forts
  • looking out of my windows at the snow covered trees in the woods behind my house
  • cooking large pots of soup and chili
  • shoveling my driveway and sidewalks
  • seeing those giant piles of snow the plows leave in parking lots that last for weeks and weeks
  • hot chocolate and popcorn
  • staying in my pj's all day
  • the silence that everything being covered in snow brings
  • how bright everything looks outside at night when the moon shines on the snow

Schools are closing 2 hours early today. Rachel just got home and Hannah will be here soon. I'm going to get the hot chocolate ready.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Oh yay! I agree with everything you said 100%! Save some hot chocolate for me! =]

daniel said...

"the silence that everything being covered in snow brings"

I really like this one. I don't know that I ever thought about putting it into words that way.

jen said...

AMY ... I was thinking of you today and that first snow day when you went a little crazy "what do I do? Go get the girls? We've never had snow!!" At least that is how I remember it! I hope you had a fun day ... I am finishing up my work and going to take my guys out for some night sledding!