Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April 1, 1988

Twenty years ago today, Lance and I went out on our first date. I was 16 and a junior in high school. He was 20. I met him in January at a youth event at my church. I was attending the event, Lance was leading one of the middle school groups. When he called a couple of months later to ask me out I said, "I'll ask my Mom." Mom said yes, and the rest is history.

The night we went out was not only April Fool's Day, but also Good Friday. I spent the night before the date with Ericka (my best high school friend) and tried on just about everything in both of our closets as she helped me decide what I would wear. It was an hour drive (from Longview, TX to Bossier City, LA) for Lance to get to my house. He showed up for the date with roses for me and also flowers for my mom - very smart! The weather was terrible that night, the area was under a tornado warning. We had dinner at Ralph and Kacoos, then rented Roxanne and went back to my house to watch it.

It was a great first date. In fact, he called me the next day and drove back over that afternoon for our second date!

7 comments:

Shelly Conn said...

Dang, you guys are old!!

Jenn said...

Neat story!!

About the blocks...try Lillian Vernon!!

Kathi Roach said...

Awww, that is so sweet. He actually told us that too. I was at church Tues and ran into him. I thought it was sweet that he was telling people it was the anniv of your 1st date. Did he tell you that he also TOTALLY got Stacey & I for April Fools? I'll let him tell you, but let's just say that I think if you look in the dictionary under gullible, you'll find a picture of me.

Jen said...

ahh--so Lance and Jeff have yet another thing in common! They BOTH robbed the cradle! wink wink Very sweet!

Chad said...

That January "youth event" at our church was my first Disciple Now experience. I was a thirteen year old kid with acne and Lance was my group leader. I remember noticing Lance's shoes were worn down to the threads and thinking he must be alright because doesn't seem too overly concerned about his outward appearance. Perhaps Lance was just "grunge" before "grunge" was cool, but I really didn't have a clue what it meant to be a poor college student. Twenty years later and I still think you’re alright Lance!

Kelsey said...

Ohhhh I LOVE this. How sweet! :)

Ericka said...

Awww, Amy! I remember that night. I am so happy for you two. May God continue to bless you and your family. I love you. Ericka