Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Devil's Den





We went to Gettysburg, PA yesterday afternoon. It was a beautiful day and, as always, a beautiful drive. After a stop at the outlet stores and a little shopping we headed into the park. We have been through the park several times, and even done the audio driving tour, well almost. This tour takes about 4 hours to complete, if you want to see it all. There is a shorter version that takes about 2 hours. Anyway, we have completed most of the 4 hour tour, but by the last little bit of the tour our kids, and us, always need to get to a restroom and we are tired so we quit. Our favorite spots in the park are Big Round Top and Little Round Top, from there you have great views of the surrounding area. We always enjoy stopping here, and it is right after these stops that we quit the tour and head into town. By quitting the tour there, we have always missed out on the next stop along the way, Devil's Den. This is a rocky area where the Confederate soldiers hid out and set up snipers to take out Union troops up on Little Round Top. Yesterday we went to Devil's Den for the first time. It is more impressive up close than when viewed from up on Little Round Top. The girls enjoyed climbing all over the rocks and exploring some caves. Lance and I enjoyed the beauty of the area and reading and learning a little more about what took place at Devil's Den.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm so glad you guys are doing all of this. I'm glad you are not here anymore. I'm glad that that area facilitates the adventure required. Love you guys. Keep up the biking.

Susie Moore said...

I cant believe the Geniuses won! They were my least favorite of the three. I was so sad about it I couldnt even do a proper post. But I cant wait for next season! I wonder if it is going to focus on History or something different.